Friday, December 5, 2008

Sea of Galilee

Today was another site packed day

My roommate & I awoke for Sunrise over Sea of Galilee about 6:15 AM, but since the lake sets in a basin its not like a sunrise over water but over mountains. We walked into Tiberius to have coffee. But only a Tiberius equivalent of 7 – 11 was open and they served some coffee After Breakfast, our group traveled to Capernaum, the site of many of Jesus teachings. We saw a demonstration of the discovery of 2000 year old fishing boat. Drove to the Synagogue which is one which Jesus certainly visited as he stated at Peter’s house. We saw the remains of the house of Peter, with an 8 sided mosaic there, which has a church built over the top of it.

We took a boat ride into the Sea of Galilee. We meditated upon the miracles of Jesus and his encounters with Peter, especially John 21, encouraging us all to let Jesus get into our “boats” and have God’s grander vision for our lives. This proved to be a time where God ministered to my spirit, helping me realize the magnitude of Christ’s mission to feed His lambs and sheep, as we floated on the water and viewed the surroundings Jesus pointed out. From the sea we could see the Golan Heights, Bashaan, Mt. Herman, Svat – which was almost assuredly the City on the Hill Jesus pointed toward in the Sermon on the Mount.


We travelled to the Mt Herman region, which the Greek/Roman had built a temple to Pan the god of the underworld. It was here Jesus asked, who do people say I am? Peter gave his confession. In the midst of a pagan shrine area, Jesus declared his mission to over take the forces of darkness and the gates of Hades cannot stop the advance of His Kingdom. This i9s not the best picture but it will at least verify that the Romans had a site here. We also saw Israeli soilders, underscoring the need for these people to continue to be vigilant. True in the physical wold and the spiritual world as well.
I'm tired and I think I wont add more stuff to my journal tonight.
Its Sabbath here tonight, everything kind of chills on Sabbath from a business sense.

Blessings.


I tried to add pictures but I only got computer gobbledegook, sorry.

2 comments:

Hoolia G said...

Thanks for keeping this up, Rob. I'm enjoying it. I'm sure it's the trip of a lifetime!

Patrice said...

Rob, it's like I am there, too. Thanks for the vivid details.... especially the Biblical references and the food descriptions;-} Praying for your spiritual growth as you walk the same paths as our Savior. How good is God!